top of page
subnet, Austria, September 2020

These three photos show the various microphones and positions on the cooling system. Two of the contact mics still retain soft pads from being held in clips for previous (and future) projects.


'Closed System'

Week Three (30th September - 5th October 2020)

To see the Conclusion page click HERE and go back to Week Two HERE

I finally decided that Closed System is the perfect title for the piece this morning (6th October 2020) as with other devices and motors I have worked with, I am able to adapt them much more and in many ways. The liquid cooling system is not so easy to 'hack'... The motors only function when they receive full power, otherwise rather than runs more slowly, they do not run at all.

The system itself is sealed, so adding other elements to change the sound is difficult (although while writing this I just considered one way!).

So I have come to realise I have been working with a more limited scope of possibilities. This is part of the process of course. But through this, I have used more software processing effects than I normally do. What I have worked with, which I am sure I have never before, is the ability to automate various parameters that affect the sound, such as levels of equalisation and the amount of an effect used. This is applied to the live feed from the six microphones positioned on the device, so the listening point is shifting constantly.

There will be other reflections on the project in a CONCLUSIONS text.

However one other development I made was to make wooden 'batteries'! I was using an adapted walkman during the project and wished to power it from the computer power supply that runs almost everything needed for the project with 12 volts. But there is also a 3.3 volt supply which is perfect for powering the walkman.

I have included two photos to show them. Having limited resources with which to make anything, I am using mostly wood products, as they are easy to work by hand in a home studio.

Fortunately, the wooden dowel rod I bought to make the support structure for the motherboard chamber turned out to be almost exactly the same diameter as AA batteries! Thanks to Jeff Rollings again for the lending of a drill so I could add the screws into the ends to make the electrical connection. These will have to be adapted to supply power to other devices in the future, but the idea works!


Week Three

The final week of the project really has been a combination of

refining the composition, using the various parameters within

Ableton Live, having them affect and manipulate the live

sound input from the six microphones; some video

documentation of parts of the system; some frustration

regarding the resulting work and finally deciding how to

present the results for subnet.

The video to the right shows a little of the process.

One of my main intentions while making the project with

subnet in Hallein, Austria was to exchange ideas, experience

and knowledge with the other selected artists. This was

certainly lacking and could have helped in my feeling frustrated

and blocked at points.

I have been in contact with Stefan Tiefengraber by email to explain the process a little more, as well my feelings and reactions, and also asked him some question regarding his project. We will continue this exchange in the week following the residency period.

I will also continue to work on the final presentation during this following week, as I feel I did not achieve enough by the finishing date of 5th October, and the results, plus final thoughts will be published on the CONCLUSIONS page.

bottom of page